1. Home
  2. What's New
  3. Services
  4. Parent
  5. Provider
  6. County
  7. How Do I...?
  8. Search for Child Care

Providing Child Care FAQs

Providing Child Care FAQs 

I am a licensed Family Child Care Home provider and I will be moving into another home in a couple of months. What must I do in order to continue offering child care?

At least 30 days prior to your move you should contact your child care consultant and let him or her know your plans. You will need to provide the new address as well as the tentative moving date. If the date changes, you should keep the consultant up to date so that your current license is not terminated too soon. As you move into your new location you need to make sure that all Family Child Care Home requirements are met so that when a visit is made to assess it, there will be no delays in processing your license. If you have questions about certain aspects of the new location, ask your consultant prior to your move.

Are annual TB tests required of all providers in a Child Care Center or Family Child Care Home? 

In the last few years there was a change in the rules so that caregivers are only required to have a TB test prior to providing care. Included in that change was the requirement that any substitute or volunteer, whether or not counted in staff/child ratios, must also have a TB test. While the rules don't require the annual TB test, the Division can request an additional test be completed if there are specific concerns about a provider's health. Also, a child care program can always require annual TB tests as part of their annual health requirements for staff, even though the state does not.

I am planning on buying new playground equipment for my program. Do you have any recommendations about what to purchase?

Before you make any large purchases of equipment or materials it is best to speak with your child care consultant. While they can not provide a specific product recommendation, they will discuss with you the rule requirements for specific types of equipment. This includes age appropriateness of different pieces, placement of the equipment, and possible need for resilient surfacing and fall zones. If you do not talk with your consultant prior to buying and installing a large piece of equipment you run the risk of having to make modifications once a visit is made and the consultant evaluates the piece. Good resources for information on playground safety are the Consumer Products Safety Commission web site and the web site for the National Program for Playground Safety.

I would like to open a Summer Day Camp. Do I have to be licensed?

The law exempts recreational programs from being licensed as long as your program operates for less than four consecutive months in a year. However, if you want to receive payment through the Subsidized Child Care Assistance Program, then you will need to be licensed. Application packets are generally available in February.

Are all teachers at a child care program required to have a Criminal Background Check (CBC)? 

All individuals employed at a child care program must complete a CBC prior to employment and a recheck every 3 years.  In a family child care home, the provider, as well as any household members over 15 who are employed and/or, reside in the residence must also complete a CBC prior to receiving a license to operate a child care program and every three years.




2201 Mail Service Center | Raleigh, NC 27699-2200
919-814-6300 | 1-800-859-0829 (In State Only)

Back To Top